mold

When contemplating purchasing a property, it is very important that you take into consideration a health hazard which can be both "visible' on surfaces as well as "hidden" within components and the atmosphere of the home.  Although all of Kross Inspectors Home Inspections include a "visual" search for evidence of mold and water intrusion, elevated Mold spores within the atmosphere of the property cannot be detected without laboratory testing.   

mold

With this in mind, Kross Inspectors ALWAYS recommends to obtain an Air Quality Survey for any property being purchased.  This allows you to take one step closer in making a truly informed decision about the condition of the property BEFORE you occupy it. Remember, a "Home Inspection" is visual in nature and will not uncover any "hidden" concerns such as airborne Mold! 

A few extra dollars spent today is a cheap price for peace of mind that your new home will be a healthy environment for your family.  If you are purchasing a home, please be sure to ask us about our Environmental Services Packages.  These packages provide you with the most comprehensive services while saving you HUNDREDS of $$ in fees!

mold

Mold in the Home

 

The first thing to understand about mold is that there is a little mold everywhere – indoors and outdoors. It's in the air and can be found on plants, foods, dry leaves, and other organic materials.

It's very common to find molds in homes and buildings. After all, molds grow naturally indoors. And mold spores enter the home through doorways, windows, and heating and air conditioning systems. Spores also enter the home on animals, clothing, shoes, bags and people.

When mold spores drop where there is excessive moisture in your home, they will grow. Common problem sites include humidifiers, leaky roofs and pipes, overflowing sinks, bath tubs and plant pots, steam from cooking, wet clothes drying indoors, dryers exhausting indoors, or where there has been flooding.

Many of the building materials for homes provide suitable nutrients for mold, helping it to grow. Such materials include paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood and wood products, dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.

The importance of mold in the real estate market today

Much has been made of indoor mold in advertising and the media lately, so it’s a common concern for homeowners and buyers. It's common to find mold even in new homes. Whether you’re selling your current home or looking into buying one, it’s vital to incorporate mold testing with a Home Inspection. Presence of active mold can drastically affect the resale value of any home.

For homeowners, a mold test with a Home Inspection will either put your mind at rest or make you aware of any problems that could otherwise cause delays or deal breakers once you’ve entered negotiations with a buyer. A professional inspection will give you a signed report from an expert before you put the home up for sale. Imagine being able to show a “clean bill of health” to potential buyers that express concerns – they’ll be impressed by your thoroughness and commitment to your home.

For buyers, getting a mold test as part of a Home Inspection will ensure that you’re not surprised by costly clean up and the potential health hazards of mold. If elevated mold or abnormalities are found to be present and active in the home, the mold test will alert you that further investigation and/or cleanup may be required.


air quality sample

Exposure to mold

Everyone is exposed to some amount of mold on a daily basis, most without any apparent reaction. Generally mold spores can cause problems when they are present in large numbers and a person inhales large quantities of them. This occurs primarily when there is active mold growth.

For some people, a small exposure to mold spores can trigger an asthma attack or lead to other health problems. For others, symptoms may only occur when exposure levels are much higher.

The health effects of mold can vary. The production of allergens or irritants can cause mild allergic reactions and asthma attacks. The production of potentially toxic mycotoxins can cause more severe reactions, and in rare cases death.

Should I be concerned about mold in my home?

Yes. If indoor mold is extensive, those in your home can be exposed to very high and persistent airborne mold spores. It is possible to become sensitized to these mold spores and develop allergies or other health concerns, even if one is not normally sensitive to mold.

Left unchecked, mold growth can cause structural damage to your home as well as permanent damage to furnishings and carpet.

According to the Centers for Disease Control*, "It is not necessary, however, to determine what type of mold you may have. All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal."

Can my home be tested for mold?

Yes. Our Inspectors are able to incorporate Mold Testing within the Scope of our Home Inspections.  We will perform a visual Inspection of the property for possible moisture problems as well as air sampling.  The air samples are delivered to a qualified laboratory for analysis.  The laboratory reports should be used along with our Inspection Report in order to troubleshoot and determine if a Licensed Mold Remediation Contractor should review for repairs and/or cleaning. 

How do I remove mold from my home?

First address the source of moisture that is allowing the mold to grow.  A licensed Home Inspector or Mold Assessor can assist in investigating.  One of the most common misconceptions is that bleach will kill mold.  IT DOES NOT.  To remove excessive and toxic molds from your property, you need to consult a licensed Mold Remediator. 

Mold Inspection Request

Please use the form below to request a mold inspection or consultation with one of our Inspectors.

Client Contact
Property Information